The first rule of book club is...

• 83 Replies

montecristo777

• View Profile
Re: The first rule of book club is...
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2018, 10:25:49 PM »
The Amber stories take place in two contrasting "true" worlds, Amber and Chaos, and in shadow worlds (Shadows) that lie between the two. These shadows, including our Earth, are parallel worlds that exist in, and were created from, the tension between opposing magical forces of Amber and Chaos. The Courts of Chaos are situated at the very edge of an Abyss. Members of the royal family of Amber, after walking a Pattern that is central to Amber, can travel freely through the Shadows. While traveling (shifting) between Shadows, one can alter reality or create a new reality by choosing which elements of which Shadows to keep or add, and which to subtract. Nobles of the Courts of Chaos who have traversed the Logrus are similarly able to travel through Shadow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chronicles_of_Amber

The novel is set in a world that is tidally locked. Thus one side of the planet is always in light, and the other in darkness. Science rules on the dayside, while magic holds sway in the night.

Powerful magical entities live on the night side of the planet, and for the most part the entities' magical powers emanate from distinct loci. Jack of Shadows (also known as Shadowjack), the main character, is unique among the magical beings in that he draws his power not from a physical location but from shadow itself. He is nearly incapacitated in complete light or complete darkness, but given access to even a small area of shadow, his potency is unmatched.

Jack's only friend, the creature Morningstar, is punished by being trapped in stone at the edge of the night, to be released when dawn comes. His torso and head protrude from the rock, and he awaits the sun that will never rise.

Jack seeks "The Key That Was Lost", Kolwynia. The Key itself and the consequences of its use parallel Jack's progress in his own endeavors. Ultimately, the Key will be responsible for Jack's salvation and his doom.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_of_Shadows
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 10:27:42 PM by montecristo777 »

Firefly369

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2018, 03:11:56 AM »
I love a good short story.   I wonder how many truths are in this one...
----------------

“Clark. I just got off the phone with the police officer who found Mindy. She says there are more of them like her.” He gulped. “A lot more. They have almost the whole department over there trying to contain them.” I shook my head almost imperceptibly, my eyes flicking at Linnea. “They’re easily identifiable, all of them people who have been recorded as dead and buried in the Glendale cemetery. And they all seem to have… diagonal wounds across their temple.” The last part of his sentence slowed down as he registered the fresh cut on Linnea’s forehead.

“Nice of you to show up,” she smiled curtly. “I remember you.” Graham stepped back, his stance shifting to one of defense.

“She’s one of them,” I whispered. “I don’t know how but she is.” Linnea curtsied.

“Don’t worry, I won’t be for long. As much as I love this body, it’s against our policies to inhabit the living.”

https://francescablake.wordpress.com/2016/03/15/the-kryonites/

Alternate Ending

https://francescablake.wordpress.com/2016/03/15/the-kryonites-alternate-ending-extras/
Not all who wander are lost....

Firefly369

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2018, 03:36:48 PM »
THE LOST KEYS OF FREEMASONRY or The Secret of Hiram Abiff
By MANLY P. HALL

http://www.metaphysicspirit.com/books/The%20Lost%20Keys%20of%20Freemasonry.pdf

Firefly369

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2018, 05:58:18 PM »
Your Invisible Power, (A Manual of Using Mental Energy), Audiobook by Genevieve Behrend

Daranaho

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2018, 11:03:24 PM »
I recently finished The Human Chord by Algernon Blackwood and I think that many people on this site would find it interesting. It is a rather short novel, but it goes into rather mystical ideas about music and the importance of names in general.

Grass is Green

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2018, 11:53:48 PM »
I recently finished The Human Chord by Algernon Blackwood and I think that many people on this site would find it interesting. It is a rather short novel, but it goes into rather mystical ideas about music and the importance of names in general.

Man chooses between godliness and a woman?

DimensionsOfYou

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2018, 05:22:22 PM »
https://archive.org/details/ProjectMars

Project Mars
by Wernher von Braun

nrgiseternal

• (*_*)Administrator(*_*)
  • All for one, and one for all
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2018, 05:24:52 PM »

Short answer, yes.

Can you name mrs. Tesla or how about Merlin's wife have you ever heard of the countess st-germain?
If there is any hope, it must lie in the proles..but why the proles, How are they most free to act?

Grass is Green

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2018, 06:11:42 PM »

Short answer, yes.

Can you name mrs. Tesla or how about Merlin's wife have you ever heard of the countess st-germain?

Same reason secret societies tend to be boys-only clubs.