Self Defense

• 52 Replies

Firefly369

• View Profile
Re: Self Defense
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2017, 10:15:56 PM »
Situational awareness or situation awareness (SA) is the perception of environmental elements and events with respect to time or space, the comprehension of their meaning, and the projection of their status after some variable has changed, such as time, or some other variable, such as a predetermined event.

Always fascinating input.

As for the door study... I have found myself trying to make eye contact with anyone I speak with, especially strangers.  I don't know if it helps memory wise but I do think that it helps my mind connect to people as a soul BEing inside a body.   I'm not great with names but I do recognize people. 
Not all who wander are lost....

Possibles

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2017, 02:55:49 AM »
marcet sine adversario virtus

reload

reload
Targets don't shoot back.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 03:04:58 AM by Possibles »

nrgiseternal

• (*_*)Administrator(*_*)
  • All for one, and one for all
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2017, 04:18:37 AM »

reload

reload

Yet the target selects the shooter.
If there is any hope, it must lie in the proles..but why the proles, How are they most free to act?

Possibles

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2017, 02:41:17 PM »

reload

reload

I find that true when hunting. Rituals of being 'in' the forest for a week or so, and allowing hunger to manifest for a day. Waking in the morning and knowing where and when the game will appear. Wondering about my worthiness when the deer steps out and pretends not to notice I'm there.
I find hunting on Earth very curious. I'm on tricky ground when I call her a woman. But I find she can be playful and coy at times when she offers her fruits to her step children.

Combat is similar I suppose. At a young age a mentor told me that adversaries would be confused by thier inability to hurt me. That's in the sense that killing is more that pulling a trigger, protocols are always at work, and in a real way we give the adversary the power/right to do us damage.
Yesterday was a strange day for me. I don't regret the post about the shooter. But it was a cheap shot.
There's alot of hidden dynamic for me in that vid. One being that 'targets don't shoot back', but in Hollywood(and elsewhere) I hope they will start to soon. I don't know Keanu Reeves, or that he is fair game in this regard. If an apolgy is due then I offer one.
Ive spoken about my choice of being single in this incarnation, and why. The second condition is that, if possible, do not take a human life. Considering my skill sets it's a strange brew. But one I am grateful to have
been able to drink.
There is a third condition too, but one I will save for later.
You know how I like to stop a meter before the finish line.

nrgiseternal

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2017, 06:06:55 PM »

reload

reload

I find that true when hunting. Rituals of being 'in' the forest for a week or so, and allowing hunger to manifest for a day. Waking in the morning and knowing where and when the game will appear. Wondering about my worthiness when the deer steps out and pretends not to notice I'm there.
I find hunting on Earth very curious. I'm on tricky ground when I call her a woman. But I find she can be playful and coy at times when she offers her fruits to her step children.

Combat is similar I suppose. At a young age a mentor told me that adversaries would be confused by thier inability to hurt me. That's in the sense that killing is more that pulling a trigger, protocols are always at work, and in a real way we give the adversary the power/right to do us damage.
Yesterday was a strange day for me. I don't regret the post about the shooter. But it was a cheap shot.
There's alot of hidden dynamic for me in that vid. One being that 'targets don't shoot back', but in Hollywood(and elsewhere) I hope they will start to soon. I don't know Keanu Reeves, or that he is fair game in this regard. If an apolgy is due then I offer one.
Ive spoken about my choice of being single in this incarnation, and why. The second condition is that, if possible, do not take a human life. Considering my skill sets it's a strange brew. But one I am grateful to have
been able to drink.
There is a third condition too, but one I will save for later.
You know how I like to stop a meter before the finish line.

Ah yes, constraint and all.  ;)

No apologies needed,ever,especially here.

As far as combat, im sure you know this, but perhaps not through this frame.

Its not about being reactive,but responding. A subtle but crucial difference.

I studied Tai Zen jiu jitsu formulated by master Howard Tague for 22 years, never truly stopped but havent been in the dojo for years, and though we werent permitted in tournaments, he taught us if a fight lasts  more than 3 actions weve done something wrong.
If there is any hope, it must lie in the proles..but why the proles, How are they most free to act?

Bcjams

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2017, 07:49:36 PM »
I studied Tai Zen jiu jitsu formulated by master Howard Tague for 22 years, never truly stopped but havent been in the dojo for years, and though we werent permitted in tournaments, he taught us if a fight lasts  more than 3 actions weve done something wrong.

I was 11 at an free karate class in 1973 and that was my take away and one of the first things the instructor said when he began. You do not fight. you win. eyes knees throat...

Possibles

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2017, 11:22:41 PM »
Action rather than reaction I used to say to beginners. It changes the energy flow and timing on an assailant. Emotionally speaking, sentience rather than resentment (to feel twice).
I don't like to talk about style publicly because so many people have their identity
wrapped up in it that it can cause hard feelings. I'm on safe ground with you guys of course
and I will say that judo/jujitsu is an essential foundational and advanced sport/combat style. If I could only recommend one style that would be it.
Since we are sharing, this was my fathers trainer. And the first black belt I ever met.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Harris_(judoka)

You may see some red flags in bios here but keep in mind, good folks are by necessity, everywhere.
Here's one of mine who doesn't mind being public.
Roger Carpenter was heavyweight full contact champ about the same time
Chuck Norris was middle weight champ. He looks stern here, but a hell of a nice guy.
We used to do competitive pistol shoots together too. Old school, very tough road.
http://www.tomfurman.com/tough-guys-roger-carpenter/

'Goldie' Mack was the best pure fighter Ive ever seen. We were like brothers for a good while.
http://universalmartialartsacademyandtrainingcenter.org/site/view/20455_DirectorInstructor.pml;jsessionid=7hijunorhjjy

There are many more who I am indebted to and they know who they are.
My dad started me on the m1911 at age six but Col. Jeff Cooper taught me the modern techniques.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Cooper

22 years Nick? Nice. Some people don't know that a 1st degree black belt (3-5)yrs, is just an enthusiastic beginner. Takes a decade or two for things to get really interesting. That's a long time to practice judo though, tough road.
I went in for a private lesson with Roger Carpenter one Saturday morning and he came out of the back room smelling of Bengay. He smiled and said, 'martial artists are the healthiest cripples in the world'. We would spend a good portion of the hour sparring and I informed him that I had forgotten my protective cup. I expected him to say, 'I'll be careful' but he said, 'block good'.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 11:29:31 PM by Possibles »

nrgiseternal

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2017, 02:04:18 AM »
Action rather than reaction I used to say to beginners. It changes the energy flow and timing on an assailant. Emotionally speaking, sentience rather than resentment (to feel twice).
I don't like to talk about style publicly because so many people have their identity
wrapped up in it that it can cause hard feelings. I'm on safe ground with you guys of course
and I will say that judo/jujitsu is an essential foundational and advanced sport/combat style. If I could only recommend one style that would be it.
Since we are sharing, this was my fathers trainer. And the first black belt I ever met.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Harris_(judoka)

You may see some red flags in bios here but keep in mind, good folks are by necessity, everywhere.
Here's one of mine who doesn't mind being public.
Roger Carpenter was heavyweight full contact champ about the same time
Chuck Norris was middle weight champ. He looks stern here, but a hell of a nice guy.
We used to do competitive pistol shoots together too. Old school, very tough road.
http://www.tomfurman.com/tough-guys-roger-carpenter/

'Goldie' Mack was the best pure fighter Ive ever seen. We were like brothers for a good while.
http://universalmartialartsacademyandtrainingcenter.org/site/view/20455_DirectorInstructor.pml;jsessionid=7hijunorhjjy

There are many more who I am indebted to and they know who they are.
My dad started me on the m1911 at age six but Col. Jeff Cooper taught me the modern techniques.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Cooper

22 years Nick? Nice. Some people don't know that a 1st degree black belt (3-5)yrs, is just an enthusiastic beginner. Takes a decade or two for things to get really interesting. That's a long time to practice judo though, tough road.
I went in for a private lesson with Roger Carpenter one Saturday morning and he came out of the back room smelling of Bengay. He smiled and said, 'martial artists are the healthiest cripples in the world'. We would spend a good portion of the hour sparring and I informed him that I had forgotten my protective cup. I expected him to say, 'I'll be careful' but he said, 'block good'.

This is my kinetic mentor.

https://www.google.com/search?q=master+howard+tague&oq=master+howard+&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l3.3199j0j7&client=ms-android-att-aio-us&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=G1xN1Cls9uKIBM:

A little glam in my opinion but we are all flawed, the man drives a metallic blue dune buggy..lol

That being said as a sag sun gemini risinh,pisces moon, discipline has been a challenge my whole life, the moderate amount i possess i owe entirely to the tai zen school.

Something about the idea of redirecting aggression resonated with me, hence my sticking to the style.

I can count the number of adult fights (post high school) ive had one both hands, so its more a mental practice for me.

Though it is always nice knowing between that and my affinity for blades that i can take care of myself.